stepping mast on old Lark

Michael Galaty

Posted: 02 Sep 19 15:34
Message ID: 2661
Hi,
I did some searching, but apologize in advance if my initial post protocol is slightly off (let me know best articles to read for that.)

My friend and I both bought a pair of Larks from Wesleyan college in Connecticut and I'm looking for some rigging technical advise. Seems that I got mast #9 and boat #5 in their fleet and the mast is really tough to get through the rectangular whole in the boat. I am gouging the hole to get the mast in and thus some questions...

1) Were there different design masts? Thus I have the wrong mast.
2) Would you grind a track to get the screw in easier? I think that would be fine because the mast is held with the stays and for stay.
3) The boom seems to be loose fitting into the mast fitting. Should that be tight and is there some sort of interlock?

So far we've sailed the boats with some jury rigging; things like an extra line to hold the boom in place, extra lines in places to keep things together.

I'd appreciate a conversation and/or welcome advice on this. I am trying to teach my eight year old daughter something about sailing. She's actually taught me a few knots she learned in sailing school and has taken the rudder quite well. Definitely some learning going on here.

Appreciate anyone's time who's interested in discussing.
Thank you.