Race preparing an old Lark

Dennis King

Posted: 15 Jan 17 17:23
Message ID: 2592
Help appriciated. I am trying to alter the way my old lark is stiffened and read in the technical section "Bolt a deck loop to the underside of the deck (on the centreline under the washboard moulding). " forgive my ignorance but where exactly is this washboard moulding? I am guessing the shape around the mast forming the mast slot.

Garry Packer

Posted: 18 Jan 17 12:12
Reply ID: 6791
I think when the article talks about washboard it is the raised section just in front of the mast that prevents waves over the foredeck washing into the cockpit.

What you are trying to do is connect the foredeck just in front of the mast to the mast step so as you apply rig tension it doesn't push the fore deck up. On my parker I had a thin metal rod that did the job. Hope that helps. Where are you based? Maybe there's someone local that can help.

Garry

Dennis King

Posted: 20 Jan 17 05:24
Reply ID: 6792
Thanks, that confirms what I thought. At the moment I have 2 aluminium bars connected to the ram pivot and the foot track. Having done some measuring I find the mast is set too far back,10 to 15 mm, if I reposition I donot have enough mast control so was going to move these struts. How did you hold the rod to the deck?

By the way I am based in LE12 Leicestershire.

Garry Packer

Posted: 20 Jan 17 15:55
Reply ID: 6793
Dome nut