Top Lip

Steve Chatten

Posted: 27 Jul 16 16:46
Message ID: 2560
I was looking at the front of what I think was a scorpion the other week & noticed that the front lip where the gunnels meet had been chopped off & the corners rounded.
It reminded me that the spinnaker sheet often gets caught under the bow lip during a hoist on the Lark.
So I wondered - is there any rule prohibiting us doing the same?

Steve.

Steve Hall

Posted: 29 Jul 16 05:40
Reply ID: 6752
Steve

I know exactly what you're after, but in our current rules I believe that it would be covered by rule 1

1. One Design Hull and Rig
The class is one design in all respects excepting general fittings which are a free choice subject
to those limitations clearly stated. The shape of the Lark hull is represented by the master moulds
approved by the Lark Class Owners Association (LCOA) and designer.

This implies that the only area of our rules which are open is the layout of the fittings, so the hull has to conform to the same shape as when it left the mould.

The re write of the rules which will be voted on at the AGM takes away this ambiguity going forwards.

Interestingly the scorpions only removed this area of the bow to conform to their rules at the time, they have since been altered and if you look at a new boat they have the same detailing around the hull/deck join as the Lark.

Steve Chatten

Posted: 31 Jul 16 06:11
Reply ID: 6753
Hi Steve,
Thanks for the info.
... So any tips on how to stop the guy getting caught round the nose on a hoist?

Steve.

Steve Hall

Posted: 09 Aug 16 07:35
Reply ID: 6756
It's not really a problem that I have ever had but there could be a couple of reasons.

Firstly I use the lowest profile shackle that I can to make sure that the guy can't get caught on this on the hoist.

Secondly as a helm I almost always take the sheet off the crew to make sure that it is kept under tension during the drop and doesn't drop under the bow.