Differences between the Parker 2 and Rondars

Chris Cooper

Posted: 13 Jul 15 05:15
Message ID: 2494
Just moved up from a Parker 2, to a Rondar 2 - haven't had chance to get it on the water yet but wondered if anyone had advice/observations on differences between the boats and things to look out for.......

Only rigged it on the grass but already spotted a couple of things I'm likely to change - not massively happy with the spinny retrieval set up and do most sailors store the pole on the boom?

Mark Mark

Posted: 13 Jul 15 07:14
Reply ID: 6681
Chris,

Yes most people do store the pole on the boom and yes the spinacker retrieval does not store under the side deck like a Parker. However the crew soon gets used to kicking it forward or you can set up an elastic set up with a bobble and a loop to spring it all under the foredeck tidily.

Here are some of the other difference in my mind:

1) The Rondar can be rolled more aggresively before shipping water. Practice and see how much further you can go! This has an advantage on a light day in that you are able to roll further and less likely to scoop water up.

2) The Rondar is stiffer in all possible ways than the Parker. I think this makes them a bit quicker in wavy conditions. This also allows you to get more tension into the rig than a Parker so luff sag is less of an issue in the higher wind strengths. Conversely I think it is more important to adjust shroud tension in a Rondar as a Parker just used to bend back when you let the jib tension off automatically tensioning the shrouds.

3) The Rondar comes up relatively dry from a capsize.

4) The rake measurement is taken from different places so you cannot really compare rake from a Parker to a Rondar very easily.

5) You are unlikely to be able to transfer a rudder from a Parker to a Rondar as the tiller will hit the deck.

Best of luck with the new purchase.

Mark

Chris Cooper

Posted: 14 Jul 15 12:40
Reply ID: 6682
Thanks for the response Mark

There's no obvious pole storage at the moment so plan to mount it on the boom.....

The retrieval system really isn't set up well on this one - in fact it doesn't retrieve all the way in and the crew has to pull it in by hand the last little bit - the elastic retrieval system sounds interesting - if you have any photos I'd really like to see those.

1) The Rondar can be rolled more aggresively before shipping water. Practice and see how much further you can go! This has an advantage on a light day in that you are able to roll further and less likely to scoop water up - [CC] Again, Good - Used to sailing Phantoms and I really roll those hard - just need to get used to working with someone else!

3) The Rondar comes up relatively dry from a capsize - [CC]fingers crossed, not planning on doing much of that. I am a little on the larger side so usually find the Lark is nice and steady for me in a big blow - I seem to be the most popular helm for crews when the wind gets up!!

4) The rake measurement is taken from different places so you cannot really compare rake from a Parker to a Rondar very easily - [CC] thanks - downloaded the tuning guide.

5) You are unlikely to be able to transfer a rudder from a Parker to a Rondar as the tiller will hit the deck - [CC] like a numpty I didn't check the rudder when I picked the boat up, just accepted it. Having now looked at it I have a sneaking suspicion it's not a Lark rudder - in fact I'd put money on it being off an Ent - wishbone stock and the pin goes right below the hull so could be making a few changes there anyway!

The joys of tinkering with a new toy!!!

Mark Mark

Posted: 15 Jul 15 02:31
Reply ID: 6683
I wouldn't worry about the rudder. Larks can use any rudder they like. Most use fireball rudders but yours sounds fine. The deck is a bit higher on a Rondar so you if you were transferring from Parker to Rondar it's an issue on occasions.

Tim Vick

Posted: 16 Jul 15 17:05
Reply ID: 6685
You may well find that you do have a lark rudder. I think the ones Rondar supplied were a wishbone. I think the pins were often too long and ideally need cutting down and a new hole drilling in it to put the securing clevis ring. Also you really need someone with a lathe to turn a new point into it.

Good luck with the new boat.

Chris Cooper

Posted: 17 Jul 15 02:42
Reply ID: 6686
Cheers Tim - It's one of your old boats so you should know!!!