Minimum weight reduction

Steve Chatten

Posted: 25 Dec 14 13:53
Message ID: 2460
Evening all & a very Merry Christmas!
Looking forward to the 2015 circuit.
(btw do we have a fixtutres list yet?)

Thinking ahead to the upcoming weight reduction rule change this year I have been wondering how I can het my hull back down to the build weight.
Chatting to people over a beers during the year, there seems to be a concensus that thro
wing a dehumidifier into the boat for a while will do the job.
The sceptic in me wonders how to hermetically seal the boat well enough with the dehumidifier & how long the job will take.
Also, do I need a heat source of some kind?
Does anyone have any practical experience of doing this with any advice to share?

Steve.

Michael John

Posted: 07 Jan 15 07:53
Reply ID: 6652
Plastic sheeting and duck tape should do it for the sealing (both from B&Q). A heat source isn't essential although it will be a lot quicker if it is warm.
With the Dragons they were drilling tiny holes in the gel-coat, baking the whole thing in a boat-oven (the type they use for curing certain polymers) for a day or two and then skimming the hull to fill the holes. Expensive but effective....
The other thing is to look at the boat, look at the things you put in it and then decide where the easiest place to lose a few kilos is:)

Steve Hall

Posted: 09 Jan 15 07:16
Reply ID: 6654
Steve

I wouldnt get too concerned, as the wording was never voted on at the AGM so there wont be a rule change going through in the near future.

If I remember correctly we asked for peoples opinions during the AGM and the consensus was not to change anything so this isnt likely to come up again for a year or two unless opinion changes.

Chris Fish

Posted: 09 Jan 15 07:43
Reply ID: 6656
I suggest drying the boat out is only ever going to be a temporary measure and would only get down to the original measured weight. Unless you then waterproof any porous materials it won't be permanent. Every boat will by and large have a very similar amount of free water in them after a few weeks. There's really no benefit to be had unless you do this throughout the season and I can think of more effective measures to take.
I have done this before. With the cover over the top and sealed as best as I could with some tape. Its much more effective if it is warmer. No effect if its near freezing as evaporation is so slow.

James Ward

Posted: 19 Jan 15 13:46
Reply ID: 6660
A brand new Ovi comes in nice and light :)

Nigel Hufton

Posted: 10 Apr 15 05:29
Reply ID: 6669
I dry my tanks out once a year and I can get the weight back down to the original weight. I imagine it prolongs the life/stiffness of the boat although this may be wishful thinking.

The key factor is to get an airflow through the boat. This I do by using an old vacuum cleaner. If you can find one which blows, then even better. By sticking it in one hatch and removing a hatch cover somewhere else you can get a bit of flow going. Then leave it for a few hours. You can speed up the process by either applying heat to the outside of the tank you are drying or sticking a hairdryer so it blows into the hatch you are sucking from - but be careful that the dryer is not re-circulating its own hot air, as it will cut out in no time! All this is easier with a Parker or Baker, as there aren't any internal bulkheads - for later boats you need to work around the boat to get the flow going.

Always get out as much water by hand first though, as it speeds up the process.

PS You might also try towing without a cover on and with all the hatch covers off, although the boat then gets a bit dirty!